To be a ghost hunter, you need some pieces of equipment that are must-haves. This includes an EMF meter to help you detect ghosts and spirits before you can hear or see them. Keep reading to find out what an EMF meter does, why it’s so useful to ghost hunters, and the best EMF Meters you can purchase!
What is an EMF?
EMF is an abbreviation for electric and magnetic fields. This is an energy that is exempt from human senses meaning we don’t notice. This energy is also referred to as radiation and can come from many different things.
The energy an object can radiate is measured on the electromagnetic spectrum, with the low frequencies being a low risk and high frequencies being extremely harmful. Objects with low frequencies are things like power lines, your phone, and your microwave. High-frequency objects would be things like actual radioactive (toxic) waste, x-rays, and UV radiation (like a tanning booth).
Ghosts and EMF
Although this is great to know, how does it link into ghosts? Theories are stating that ghosts can be manipulative with this energy. Professor McFadden who has researched at the University of Surrey states that “the conscious mind consists of an electromagnetic field, a field that does not disintegrate when we die”. By this logic, ghosts still have this electromagnetic field which can be detected with an EMF meter.
Using an EMF meter to hunt ghosts helps prove they are real beings using these scientific principles. This makes the EMF meters very favourable in ghost hunting shows.
When using an EMF meter, you should always make sure you take a base reading. This means you need to take a reading of what your meter displays around the area where there is zero paranormal activity. When you are using the meter for an investigation, take note of any spikes especially if the jump is big. The little spikes are okay to take note of, but they may just be naturally occurring.
Now that you know about EMF meters, and how they apply to ghosts, let’s look at the best meters you can get your hands on! Don’t forget if you’re unsure about purchasing there are EMF phone apps, so if you don’t feel like purchasing a separate piece of equipment, you can also just download an app.
K-II EMF Meter
The K-II EMF meter is one of the most favoured options. The meter is insanely simple to read and has been used on many ghost hunting shows. Many meters come with unnecessary additions or extra features, but the K-II Meter is simple and straight to the point.
SpiritShack describes the features of this meter, which include:
- Having a Push Tab to Turn “On” Push Tab to Turn “Off”
- Simple to Read Multi-Segment LED Display
- It can Detect the ELF range (50 to 1,000Hz) & VLF range (1,000 to 20,000Hz)
- Five level milliGauss ranges
- 50 & 60 Hz operation
- 9Vdc Operation
- Single Axis
- Accuracy of ±5% at 50-60Hz
- Instant Response To EMF Fluctuations & Spikes
Acoustimeter RF Meter Model AM-10
“If you are looking for a simple yet reliable EMF meter, this should be one of your first picks.”
This meter is a little pricier than that last, but worth it for this Acoustimeter. Unlike the K-II, this isn’t made specifically for ghost hunts. This meter was manufactured to detect EMF in your home or just even out and about where it could be considered a health hazard.
As it is not originally a ghost hunting device, this makes the accuracy better! There is little to no chance that this device will give you false detections and make it seem as though there is ghost activity in an area.
No, it wasn’t created for paranormal investigation but don’t let that deter you. Electromagnetic fields also occur outside of paranormal situations, many people need a trustworthy device to keep their home safe. Acoustimeters (which this device has) successfully help people detect any sign of EMF in their homes, so can help you while investigating.
Features of the Acoustimeter include;
- Speedy response to EMF changes with low update speed, allowing time to note down each reading
- high sensitivity (measured 0.01 – 6.0 V/m. Wide frequency range: 200 MHz – 8 GHz)
- 20h battery life
- speaker/headphone jack to ‘hear’ the energy (mostly used in situations where two different devices are giving waves of energy)
Mel EMF Meter
You’ve probably seen the Mel Meter on ghost hunting shows. Unlike the other meters on the list, this meter can track temperature too. Have you ever taken part in an investigation and wondered how you hold all of the equipment? The Mel Meter frees your hands, so you won’t have to hold more than one device.
Temperature is vital when detecting ghosts with EMF. If an energy spike is detected with your meter and there is also a drastic change in temperature (mostly decrease), this would tell you to investigate as this is a sign a ghost could be present. If there’s a small spike on your meter with no change in temperature, that might just be a natural EMF.
Features of this two in one device include;
- Digital EMF display
Ultimate EMF Detector (Free)
Some of these meters might be out of your price range, especially if you are just starting out. Thankfully, technology has progressed enough that you can download EMF meter apps for your phone or most devices. The Ultimate EMF Detector Free is available on Android, but Apple devices still have plenty of EMF meter apps to choose from!
Phones have a magnetic sensor for the compass app, which is utilized when taking EMF readings. Using this, your phone can detect any energy fields or any changes present.
The apps are simple to use and beginner-friendly. The meter clearly displays any readings, along with a graph of past readings. The features of this app include;
- Magnetic Field B in microTesla, Milligauss, or Gauss
- Auxiliary Field H, ampere per meter
- Recorder feature. Data can now be saved on a text file for later use using a computer (this requires permission to read and write on external storage)
- Keep screen ON feature button
- XYZ, max-min, and graphs.
- The classic EMF meter with a needle and LEDs
You can also download the Pro versions, which tend to include;
- No adverts
- Recorder feature. Data can now be saved live on a text file for later use on a computer (this requires permission to read and write on external storage)
- Sound notifications for any rapid EMF changes
- A few backgrounds and skins for the detector app
TriField EMF Meter Model TF2
This is more than just your average EMF meter. All the other meters stated above only measure general EMF. The Trifield EMF Meter detects all three types of EMF. This meter can pick up the three types of EMF, it’s great for detecting ghosts that might be manipulated by more than one. It’s also great for day-to-day use like if you’d want to check the EMF levels around your house for safety!
The list of features on the Trifield Website is long, and they include;
- Detection of the three types of EMF pollution: AC magnetic, AC electric, and RF/microwave
- Special frequency weighting mode, for calculating electric current from EMF in the human body
- AC Magnetic Mode, that covers 40 Hz – 100 kHz with a range of 0.1 – 100.0 milligauss (mG)
- AC Electric Mode covering 40 Hz – 100 kHz ranging 1 – 1000 volts per meter (V/m)
- RF Mode covers 20 MHz – 6 GHz ranging from 0.001 – 19.999 milliwatts per square meter (mW/m2)
- AC magnetic measurements are 3-axis, this allows quick readings, regardless of meter orientation
- A large liquid-crystal display (LCD) for clear, accurate readings
- Adjustable backlight for use in dark environments
- Audio Indicator emits sounds, helping to pinpoint EMF sources
- Peak Hold captures fast pulses, for gauging fast digital signals
- Operates 20+ hours on a 9V battery, with a low battery indicator
There are plenty of decent EMF Meters out there. It doesn’t need to be specifically made for paranormal investigations! EMF meters have a wide variety of uses, so you really just need one to provide accurate readings.
Although there are only five on this list, there are plenty more to choose from, if none of these options interest you. The five above are some of the most popular and highly rated EMF meters on the internet, you can still make your own choices on what you think is the top choice.
Now you have been made aware of EMF and some of the meters and their uses, maybe you’ll start to use them to start a ghost hunting journey.